Friday, June 29, 2012

Kheema - Ground Beef & Peas

 Today is a lazy day for me. I'm off work.
I'm eating pizza and watching King Kong.
Definitely a lazy day.
I went to Target earlier. I got a Frappuccino from the Starbucks in the store. 

I was so excited because today is my once a week "cheat day". 
I get to eat whatever I want pretty much.
 Walking to the car with my yummy frozen strawberries and cream blended beverage something happened and it slipped from my hand and disastrously fell on the ground.
I think I must have looked really silly and disappointed because a woman in the next row of cars came running asking if I was okay.
 I had to explain to her that nothing terrible had happened, except the great loss of my wonderful blended icy beverage on a 106 degree day.
Let's be honest, not many things could be worse than that.
 Last night I made this fantastic Kheema. It's an easy to make traditional meat dish of Pakistan and India. Originally the word Kheema meant minced meat. It is typically minced-lamb or goat curry with peas or potatoes. Last night it was ground beef, with peas and tomatoes. Also lot's of spices.
 Actually, this dish ended up too spicy for my liking. Others liked it as is.
It actually wasn't surprising, because when I eat at Indian restaurants, almost everything is too spicy for me. I think I'd tone down the spice next time for my portion.
 This meal was super flavorful and very easy to make. The prep time was just pulling all of the ingredients out, chopping up some ginger & tomatoes and defrosting frozen peas. Give it a shot!
On another exciting note, my green bell pepper plants are finally taking off and producing fruit! I don't think I've ever been so excited as when I noticed them growing.
Kheema - Ground Beef & Peas
Adapted from Aarti Sequiera

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (1-inch thumb) fresh ginger, peeled and minced
3 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
1 pound ground beef
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (or one can of diced tomatoes)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few extra leaves for garnish
Rice or pita bread

Directions:
In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until golden. Add the garlic and ginger, and saute for another minute. Stir in the coriander, paprika, garam masala, cumin and cayenne, and cook for 1 minute.
Add the beef, breaking up lumps with a spoon, and saute until the meat is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of water and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in the peas. Stir well and simmer, partially covered for 5 minutes.
Stir in the vinegar and chopped cilantro. Garnish with torn cilantro leaves and serve with rice or pita bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment