Monday, June 18, 2012

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream & Nutella Filling

Hello there! Welcome to my fabulous, not-much-of-a-blog-at-this-point. 

I have another blog which I've had for a long time called butterisgood.com.
I stopped posting a couple of months ago.

Why you ask? That answer is complicated, but I'll try to explain.
It's mostly because it was a blog about butter. 
My waistline has been begging me to try other things. 

Things other than cake, other than cookies and muffins and pancakes. 
Things that involve "healthy deliciousness" rather than "loosen your belt right this instant deliciousness".

With that being said, I still love you Butter, I really do. I promise. In fact, I've written you a letter. Please don't hate me.
Dear Butter,

You and I have been fond of each other for some time now. You've had my back when I've needed something delicious and sweet. While I absolutely love you Butter (don't worry, I will never divorce you), it is time for us to take a break, a separation if you will.

We need to have time on our own where we can experience life and recipes using other ingredients.

Sincerely,

Katie

P.S. - With this letter, here is peace offering. A rich, chocolatey cake that will knock your socks off!
(Wait, does butter wear socks?)
 It's time to branch out and try things like cilantro, tomatoes, chicken & onions. I've always been a fan of meat, I love meat more than anything, but now it's time to enjoy the art of finding different ways to cook it.

It's time to do some serious cooking!

I'm a really healthy person most of the time. Or at least I strive to be. Of course, I have one "cheat day" a week where we can hang out with sexy ingredients like butter, chocoalte, & nutella. Whatever we desire. Ooh la la.

I get a very big thrill out of cooking for people. I love the way it feels to complete a meal that tastes great and that we can eat on a semi-regular basis for dinner. 
This cake is for a special occasion. Like Father's Day for example!



Chocolate Chocolate Cake with Coffee
Adapted from Ina Garten 
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups good cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
Chocolate Buttercream, recipe follows
1/4 cup nutella

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans.
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
Place 1 layer, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake pedestal. With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with frosting. Add nutella to the center of the first layer. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.

Chocolate Frosting:
Ingredients:
12 ounces good semisweet chocolate (recommended: Callebaut)
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoon instant coffee powder

Directions:
Chop the chocolate and place it in a heat-proof bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments. Stir until just melted and set aside until cooled to room temperature. You can also put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to speed up this process.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and continue beating for 3 minutes. Turn the mixer to low, gradually add the confectioners' sugar, then beat at medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary, until smooth and creamy. Dissolve the coffee powder in 4 teaspoons of the hottest tap water. On low speed, add the chocolate and coffee to the butter mixture and mix until blended. Don't whip! Spread immediately on the cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment